Monday, February 18, 2019
Paris 1900 - Petit Palais :: Architecture History
Missing ImageParis 1900 - Petit PalaisAlong with the megabyte Palais and the Pont Alexandre III, the Petit Palais served as unity of the main focuses of the International Exhibition of 1900 and helped solidify the dumbfound of France as artistic world leader. Despite its inferiority in surface to the Grand Palais, contemporary critics noted that the Petit Palais is of equal importance in creating an film of the artistic success of the Exhibition (Boyd, 194). From its inception, it was built to serve as a permanent gallery of painting and sculpture.This black and white postcard represents the informal courtyard of the Petit Palais, which was established at the expense of the Palais de lIndustrie that had been erected for the 1855 Exposition. Architect Eugne Hnard (1849-1923) proposed the destruction of the Palais De lIndustrie. In 1894, Hnard received one of three first prizes (others were granted to Charles Girault and Edmond J.B. Paulin) in the competition for the general for ge of the Exposition. The final layout of the fair incorporated his suggestion of cutting a unfermented street from the Champs-Elysees through the Palais de lIndustrie which would cross the Seine River on a fresh bridge and then terminate at the Dme des Invalides (Wolf, 29). Although or so frenchmen opposed the destruction of the Palais de Ilndustrie, which was seen as one of the most conspicuous landmarks on the Champs Elyses and served as an exhibition hall at the time, many concur it was obsolete. According to Richard Morris Hunt, a prestigious American architect, from the very day it began to fig up above the ground the critics cried against the destruction of one of the finest perspective views that Paris afforded, and condemned this fleshy and compact mask that was being interposed between the Champs Elyses and the dome of the Invalides (Hunt, 31). Hnard recommended replacing the Palais de lIndustrie with two buildings, Palais des Beaux-Arts and Palais des Lettres (Wolf, 29). From Hnards caprice came the establishment of the Grand Palais, Petit Palais, and the Pont Alexandre III.In 1896, Charles-Louis Girault (1851-1932) was nominated chief architect for the Petit Palais. He found his inspiration mainly in eighteenth century French architecture. The main faade was located across from the Grand Palais on the eastern Side of the Avenue Nicholas II (today Winston Churchill). Of the three other facades, one face the Seine River, another Avenue des Champs-Elyses. The plan of the Petit Palais was that of a unfaltering trapezoid and was arranged around a central closed courtyard.